Mission & Vision
The Office of International Affairs (OIA) supports the University’s overall mission of being locally responsive to the needs of our community while promoting globally engaged research, education, and economic development programs that address the grand challenges of our global society.
- OIA provides university-level leadership, innovation and coordination to equip students, faculty, staff and the communities we serve with the global knowledge, cultural understanding, skills and experience to compete and collaborate in the new global economy.
- OIA collaborates with other units and our strategic partners in creation, implementation and coordination of integrative, multidisciplinary and globally focused education, research, and economic development programs to address the grand challenges of our global society.
- OIA serves as the “University Center for Global Engagement” for supporting global partnership linkages, promoting international programs, planning and managing global activities, assisting academic planning for global knowledge/experience requirements, and providing logistical support for all international engagement on campus or abroad.
OIA is advised by the University Standing Committee on International Programs (CIP) for university policies and opportunities related to international programs. The International Operations Council (IOC) assists OIA to develop and implement university-wide programs for the campus internationalization.
Several faculty advisory groups provide guidance on program and partnership development within specific regions: India Advisory Group, Africa Advisory Group, Middle East and North Africa Group, Confucius Institute Advisory Committee, and Japan Center Advisory Committee. OIA also supports internationalization efforts by the University of North Carolina General Administration, including programs such as UNC Tomorrow, UNC Exchange Program (UNCEP) and University Council on International Programs (UCIP).
This OIA Strategic Plan supports the University’s major goals as outlined in the new NC State’s Strategic Plan “The Pathway to the Future” - specifically Goal 5 (Enhancing Global Engagement) and Goal 1 (Enhancing Student Success through educational innovation).
- Provide leadership and central support to enhance global engagement at home and abroad
- Develop focused strategic partners for enhancing global engagement
- Enhance student academic success by integrating global perspectives and internationally engaged learning experiences into programs on campus and abroad;
- Promote faculty and staff global scholarship and research;
- Increase global extension, engagement and economic development activities
Created: Mon, 05/13/2013 - 12:03pm, Last Updated: Thu, 08/07/2014 - 1:36pm